Friends: Stephanie Robles of MooBear Designs

Today's post is the first in a new series we are running to introduce you to great sewers, crafters and designers from around the web. So without further ado, please make welcome Stephanie Robles of MooBear Designs.

Tell us about you...

Hi, my name is Steph. I love chocolate, craft, Carlos and my children but maybe not in that order. I am actually trained in child care but now I work with recycled fabrics and clothes to create new wearable fashions. One creation that spawned from this idea is our new children's clothing label, MooBear Designs, and also the soon to be launched Over It!

What do you like to make and how did you get started?

I like to make anything from button rings to hanging mobiles. If I could be trusted with a hammer and saw, I would attempt a book shelf too but at the moment my craft has lead me to MooBear Designs and making children's T-shirts. It started back in 2006 when I made my daughter, Moo, a shirt from one of her drawings using some old clothes which no longer fit her. Presto! She had a new shirt which she had designed. Since then she has continued to be our head designer, with her younger brother, Bear, hot on her heels. Over It is a follow on from the same idea, only it's more girly and fun with accessories and jewellery and a few baby items.

What have you made that you are most proud of?

Other than my 3 creative children?! The first thing I made Moo was a little dress when she was 2. While I was making it I asked my Mum for help because I was scared I was going to mess it all up. I didn't and I was so proud of myself. It was a great feeling. Bubble will be able to wear that same dress soon. Now I create things without a pattern for the kids, Carlos and myself without any fear.

If you had all the time in the world, what would you like to make?

I think that bookshelf or maybe an enviro-friendly motorbike which could run on scrap fabric. I have so much scrap fabric and I hate to part with it but if it was used as fuel, then I wouldn't have a problem. Imagine that!! No carbon emissions to worry about only threads of cotton occasionally from the exhaust... I might have to get started!!

Do you belong to a sewing or craft group?

I have sewn with friends and shown them a thing or two. I have a group of ‘not so crafty’ followers who keep asking me to do craft workshops for them. They want me to teach them how to do appliqué and resin jewellery. We're about to move so if anyone knows of any craft groups on the Central Coast you’ll have to let me know...please.

What hidden gems have you found on the internet that help your hobby?

The hidden gems I have found were from starting a blog. The people out there in the crafters blogland are so supportive. If I can't find something or think I have messed something, up my followers are quick to jump in a lend a hand... or an email. I have found inspiration from close blog friends who live worlds away. I have bought from, and supplied, many bloggers and it's nice to know that handmade is making a come back!!

To learn more about Steph and her creations, be sure to visit her website or blog. You’ll also find her on Facebook and Twitter.

Thank you so much, Steph, for sharing your story.

Would you like to share your sewing, crafting or design story on The Oz Material Girls blog? Email us at thematerialgirls@ozemail.com.au for more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment