Designer Spotlight - introducing Pauline McArthur from Funky Friends Factory

Today we would like to introduce you to the face behind Funky Friends Factory
Tell us about you?

Hi, I’m Pauline McArthur, and I am the indie designer behind the Funky Friends Factory range of toy patterns. I have been making my own toys since I was about 7 years old, but it wasn't until my mid 30's that I decided to try and make my living doing what I love. At first I sold the toys at markets then I began selling my Funky Friends Factory toy patterns in 2001. The official Funky Friends Factory website was launched in 2006, and now my patterns are used by crafters around the world. I love creating cuddly three-dimensional critters from fabric and it has given me such pleasure to see other people enjoying my patterns. My whole aim is to make toy making simple and fun for everyone including children and beginner sewers so everyone can give it a go!

How did your business name come about?

I began making ‘baby-safe bunnies’ for all my friends’ newborn babies with sewn on faces and no chewable, choke-able bits. They were so popular that I moved on to mass-production so that’s where the ‘factory’ bit comes from in the Funky Friends Factory!


Tell us about your products and 3 that are your favourites and why?

I fall in love with each new Funky Friend that I design… so it’s really hard to pick a favourite. I really love making my Christmas Dolls – Sugar Plum and the Elf Doll Twins, it’s just such fun watching them come to life… and of course Gertie Gecko Heat Pack is a favourite, especially for pressies – who doesn’t like a heat pack? 



Where do you find inspiration for new designs?

I find inspiration everywhere, a piece of fabric, children’s book, greeting cards, nature, oh and the internet of course!

What does the future hold for you?

I would love to have a range of toys manufactured… one day, but for now my main goal is just to get more time in the sewing room! :D


See the full range of gorgeous patterns here

2 comments:

  1. I just adore her range of toy patterns, they really speak to me, Just delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sue, just saw your comment!!! :) Thanks you made my day! :D

    ReplyDelete